Sunday 24 January 2010

At the bank at last

Its great to be back at the lake side after three weeks of absence and i for one nearly cracked with withdrawal symptoms.

Me and john decided on a day at Oak ham , as you are guaranteed bites here , well if you have a little knowledge , some anglers still struggle .We set up on the old pool , John to the island and me , the stumps. Today was an all out carp attack with pellets , corn and for me, my winter favourite, bread.

I started in open water at about 8 metres , feeding about five 4mm pellets , i used a 6mm cold water expander on a size 16 barbless to 3.12 lb hook length. I had a small carp of about a pound first chuck . I knew it would be a good day but after 5 fish it went quite, i tried corn but nothing.

John was catching well to the island at about 11 metres . His attack was similar to mine but using liquidised corn as feed .

I had now concentrated on my second swim  a stump that marks out a no fishing zone, stepping up my feed to about 25 pellets and 2 or 3 pieces of corn every put in i began to catch steadily and was having a decent run of small carp averaging 12oz to a pound.

John was also bagging, but it was harder work for him as he was fishing longer as his inside line and middle track did not produce.

My swim was going quiet , i knew they had backed of a bit so i added another section , not to fish another metre but enough to get me close to the stump i mean my float was touching it. Every

time i fed, i tapped the stump with my pole , this worked wonders and bread and corn with steady feeding bought me a 66lb net of fish, John weighed a cracking 50lb 8oz . Two brilliant bags of fish for this time of year ohh and i had 3 fish on a piece of onion from a sandwich ?

 

66 lb for me                              50lb 8oz for John.

No comments: